Radio broadcasting has been revolutionized by the advent of the internet. To start an internet radio station, you don’t need so much cash since there is no infrastructure involved. You can just utilize the internet infrastructure to your advantage and broadcast anywhere in the world, 24/7.
What You Need at the Start
There are only a few things you will need at the start.
1. Content – in any internet endeavor, content is the primary thing. In terms of online radio, your content will consist of live voice broadcast, pre-recorded MP3 music, cuts from CDs, and so forth.
2. Shoutcast Server – this server will make your content available on the internet. They will mix all your content in a format that can be uploaded online and accessed by internet radio listeners around the world.
3. Listeners – of course, your online broadcast will amount to nothing if there is no one listening to it.
Advantages of Starting an Online Radio Station
There are great advantages to starting an online radio station compared to the conventional stations we know in the past. Here are just some of the main ones.
1. No great amount of money involved.
In starting an internet radio station, all the things you need to buy are the following:
– A PC or a laptop – the latest model would be the best.
– Internet service – you can get this from an internet service provider. If you already have the internet at home, you don’t need to get another one.
– Content – your content will consist mostly of music, therefore you will need to build a music file. You could use MP3 files you can download from the internet, or cuts from CDs that you already have.
2. You don’t need to build any broadcast infrastructure
Conventional broadcasting companies have spent millions of dollars to build their complex infrastructure before they can broadcast anything through the airwaves.
There is no need for you to spend that kind of money to be heard online. The internet infrastructure already exists for you to take advantage of. All you have to do is to connect to the internet, get a Shoutcast server, and have all the basic things required in starting an online radio station and you’re set to go.
3. You Can Reach the Whole World Anytime
With an online radio from a Shoutcast hosting service, you have the world as your stage. You will not be limited to broadcasting your content in just your area alone. The internet gives you the capability of reaching hundreds of millions of people around the world, 24/7.
This is the best way to promote anything without spending a lot of money. Just be sure that your promotions don’t take priority over your relevant and updated content.